Sunday, March 29, 2009

I'm Back! (part 2)

Hellooooo everyone! I'm finally back from my trip across the world. Ok, really only like 3 states, but it felt MUCH longer.

For those of you that don't know, my Mom passed away on March 26,2008. On March 26,2009, 4 of my sisters, myself and Ed were at her grave site and we unveiled her headstone. Usually this isn't a big deal, but did I mention that Ed pretty much made the ENTIRE thing? He made the form, mixed and poured the concrete and laser etched the front and back plaques for it. Then, after we hauled it there in his truck, he unloaded it (I helped a bit) and placed it (this involved him actually tying a strap around his waist and PULLING this 500 pound stone down a hill), and then assembling the entire thing there in the wind and cold and partially in the dark. Here is a pic of it.
Back:
Front:

He did and AMAZING job. My Mom loved birds, and her favorite were the hummingbirds she fed, so he put a hummingbird and a rose (her fav flower) on the front. Also on the front, he etched all of our names in the corners. On the back he etched the poem that is on her rememberence card with another rose and a candle and heart. I don't think I can ever tell him how much this meant to me and my family. A potentially crappy day was made better by the stone and the fact that we were there together.
The other thing that made this trip "memorable" was the fact that my sister Melissa who lives in Colorado had NO idea that me, Mary,Susan,Ed, Beckatang and Ray (Beckatang's guy,now renamed Earl by the sisters) were going to be there. AND only one sister (Susan) knew about the stone. So, it was a real "interesting" trip for a lot of reasons.
I hope I wasn't too much of a downer, but that's where I was and I feel a bit better. Perhaps some closure? I still miss my Mom every day, but it's a bit easier to pick myself up and go on.....
I love you, Mom.




2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear about your mom, but I'm glad you are feeling better after going out there and dealing with it. The stone is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww Brenda, I'm so sorry to hear about your mother :(

    What a beautiful headstone! Your Ed is very talented!

    (I gave you an award on my site)

    ReplyDelete